- Use without any consumables ensuring minimal running costs.
- A single keystroke operation loads the sample, inoculates a plate and cleans the stylus to optimise sample throughput speed.
- It can dispense volumes from 10µl to 400µl providing immense flexibility and repeatability.
- 8 x 50µl plates can be prepared in Syringe Mode in 2 minutes 35 seconds.
- Optional 15cm turntable to enable the use of 15cm plates.
- Optional self-centering, adjustable turntable - allows 9cm plates from different manufacturers to be used without manual adjustment.
The Whitley Automated Spiral Plater (WASP 2) eliminates the need for serial dilutions, offers a reduction in cost per test and standardises counting methods. WASP 2 makes spiral plating easy.
Fully microprocessor controlled, WASP 2 allows depositions onto 10cm and 15cm plates in logarithmic volumes of 50ul, 100µl and 200µl and a linear deposition of up to 400µl. The stylus arm dispenses liquid sample either uniformly across the plate or as a continuously decreasing volume, equivalent to a thousand-fold dilution. The unique stylus geometry and volume allow deposition on plates of varying agar height and up to eight consecutive depositions from one sample draw without the need to wash or collect more sample.
One feature unique to WASP 2 is its ability to load sample, inoculate a plate and then clean the stylus with only one keystroke. WASP 2 has an automatic cleaning cycle, with provision for both sterile water and a self-leveling bleach reservoir system. The automatic wash cycle uses a large, 500ml disinfectant reservoir, as well as autoclavable 100ml containers for sterile water. This eliminates contamination problems associated with using a large, replenishable reservoir. Automation of the cleaning cycle gives the operator time to remove the inoculated plate and prepare for the next sample, thus streamlining operation.
To ensure less-experienced users can operate the instrument with minimal risk of inaccurate results, the user-selectable parameters can be chosen and then locked. All controls are accessed via a full-colour, purpose-designed membrane keypad.
The WASP 2 is used in conjunction with the Vacuum Source, which is necessary for drawing liquids through the system. The unit will inoculate the plate at fastest speed possible without centrifugal force causing the sample to be pushed to the outside of the plate. There is no set-up procedure, simply "plug and play." There is easy access to all serviceable parts.