One of the products in the Don Whitley Scientific range that sometimes gets overlooked is the Whitley Jar Gassing System (WJGS). When your budget or number of samples are just not enough to justify the purchase of even a small workstation, such as the DG250, the WJGS could be the answer.
Who could benefit from a WJGS?
Perhaps you only have a small number of plates to incubate. Perhaps you use gas packs. Perhaps you have a large number of jars already and don’t want to invest in a different solution. The WJGS can also be interesting for those who want to incubate small numbers of plates in different gas mixtures, as the WJGS can be connected to any gas mixture you want to use.
What are the cost implications?
The system is deceptively simple but highly effective and has a number of key benefits that have proven very popular. One of the main positives is the low running costs of the WJGS as opposed to the high cost of gas generating kits. Whilst there is an obvious initial investment in the purchase of a WJGS, the operating costs will save money in the longer term.
What are the features and benefits?
In addition to the cost savings that can be achieved, the WJGS provides many other benefits, including:
- Create the perfect anaerobic conditions in your jars in just 2 minutes and for microaerophiles, in 15 seconds. The WJGS reduces the cost of creating microaerobic conditions by 98% and for anaerobic conditions by 89%.
- Most types of jar can be adapted for use with the WJGS so if you already have a supply of jars, check with us to find out if they are suitable or can be adapted.
- If you are a busy clinical lab with an anaerobic workstation but also have a few microaerophiles that you need to cultivate, you could attach a WJGS to the workstation and run a microaerobic cycle for those samples. It gives you additional flexibility as well a little extra anaerobic capacity at times of high demand.
- Having samples in jars means that you can incubate at alternative temperatures than are possible inside a workstation.
- You can be confident that a vacuum has been drawn and that the jar is sealed and airtight. With a gas pack you have no way of knowing whether the container is leaking.
- There is an optional printer to provide full traceability.
- If you need to open the jar to add more samples once you have activated a gas pack, it’s a waste as you will have to activate another gas pack. However, with jars you can open them as many times as you want and re-gas them for pennies.
- The other benefit of the ability to re-gas so cheaply is that samples don’t have to be left on the bench for hours whilst enough are assembled to justify the use of a gas
- A further consideration is that the used gas pack needs to be dealt with as hazardous waste. It needs autoclaving and disposing of accordingly. There is no such consideration with the WJGS.
Royal Stoke Hospital recently joined the long list of Whitley Jar Gassing System customers. The new system will replace the old style gassing system the hospital has been using and will improve their working methods and reduce costs.
The video below shows how easy the system is to use
So, if your budget won’t stretch to a Whitley Workstation or you want the flexibility to incubate in jars at different temperatures, the Whitley Jar Gassing System could be the perfect solution.
For further information, please call our sales team on +44 (0)1274 595728 or email email@example.com