DWS is an authorised distributor for COPAN's Liquid Based Microbiology (LBM) range. eSwab® is the only liquid-based, multipurpose collection and transport system that maintains the viability of aerobic, anaerobic and fastidious bacteria for up to 48 hours at room and refrigerator temperature (GC up to 24h). It consists of a flocked swab and a tube containing 1mL of liquid Amies.
Standard swabs with charcoal gel or Amies gel transport media can only be used for standard microbiological tests such as inoculation on solid agar and slides. The liquid media in the eSwab® allows the sample to be used in the standard way but also allows other types of tests to be done. These can be molecular in nature or rapid antigen tests.
The Copan LBM range is designed so that there are specific swabs for different sites, including swabs for urethral samples, nasopharyngeal samples and kits with double and triple swabs for multiple site testing for MRSA.
“The advantage for clinicians is that it avoids them either having to take two samples from the patient or trying to decide which type of swab to use for each test - just one eSwab® is needed.”
A truly open platform, eSwab® is suitable for automation, gram stains, traditional culture and molecular assays. It is made up of a FLOQswab® (flocked swab) and 1 ml of modified liquid Amies, eSwab® elutes the entire sample into the medium providing a homogenous liquid sample suspension, which can be used to run multiple tests from a single specimen collected from a patient.
In contrast to a traditional fibre swabs, a fibre wad in which sample can get trapped, a flocked swab has no internal core. Nylon® fibres are sprayed onto the plastic applicator and act as a soft velvet brush allowing improved collection of cell samples. Capillary action between the Nylon® fibre strands facilitates strong hydraulic uptake of liquid samples. The sample stays close to the surface allowing fast and complete elution.
eSwab® represents an ideal collection and transport system for all automated liquid handling systems, for example the WASP®: Walk-Away Specimen Processor.
The eSwab® is compliant with the latest standard: M40-A2. This basically ensures that specific bacteria survive and can be recovered after a set period of time. This includes potentially difficult organisms such as N. gonorrhoeae and anaerobic bacteria.
- Perpendicular flocked fibres provide efficient absorption and complete release of liquid sample for maximum fluid transfer resulting in a high level of reliability, reproducibility and repeatability.
- The ergonomic and anatomic design has improved patient comfort and the efficiency of specimen collection. Also the capture cap feature allows the operator to conveniently remove the swab using the cap as a handle to hold when manipulating the swab.
- Instant and spontaneous release into liquid media.
- Measurable and consistent uptake and transfer from patient to test tube.
- Velvet brush-like texture rapidly and efficiency dislodges cells and allows complete dispersal in sample buffer or preservation medium.
- FLOQSwabs® are versatile and ideal for rapid antigen testing, EIA, PCR and molecular-based assays, DFA and cytology testing, bacteriology and virology culture.
- FLOQSwabs® tip can be treated, coated or activated according to specific customisation requirements in terms of enhanced or dynamics, performance, target analyte, etc.
- eSwab® is not only for bacterial culture, but also preserves nucleic acids and antigens of bacteria, viruses, Chlamydiae.
- With the ability to store it for back up purposes (for molecular and rapid antigen assays) for up to 6 months at -20°C, it allows samples to be retested, if necessary, rather than have to take another from a patient.
- Safe and convenient moulded breakpoint.
- The patent for flocked swab is held by COPAN. As the inventor of flocked swabs, COPAN holds patents in the United States, Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and China.